Sunday 26 May 2013

The Patient Builder, or "Don't Fall SPLAT."


Do you remember (if you are from a southern, American, Christian home, or even once attended a VBS in such a place) that little song about the builders?  The words are from scripture, (Matt 7:24ff and Luke 6:46ff) but with a bit more onomatopoeia.  The song goes:

 

The wise man built his house upon the rock.

The wise man built his house upon the rock.

The wise man built his house upon the rock,

And the rains came tumbling down.

 

OH, the rains came down as floods came up (do the hand motions—you know you want to.)

The rains came down as the floods came up.

The rains came down as the floods came up,

And the wise man’s house stood FIRM.

 

Then, there’s the foolish man, same number of repetitions.

 

The foolish man built his house upon the sand….and the rains came tumbling down..and the foolish man’s house went SPLAT!

 

The lesson?  SO (third verse)…Build your house on the Lord Jesus Christ, and the blessings come tumbling down...OH, the blessings come down as the prayers go up.  Repeat as necessary.

 

I like the song.  I loved singing SPLAT ridiculously loud in a church building. I haven’t thought of that song in ages, until this week. 

 

I have decided that I sympathize with the foolish builder.  Last week while working on our remodeling gauntlet, I was taking what seemed the zillionth load of rubble to the “burn pile.” I hoisted the wooden handles of the wheel barrow above my head, grunted, and thought “WHO has the patience to build a house?” If you know me, you would know that patience is not one of my strong points, and you might have even discouraged Superhusband and me from taking on such a project. You would have been completely justified in such discouragements. We are not patient people. (For the record, I would not encourage any couple to build/remodel a home until they’ve been married at least five years. Maybe longer. It’s unreasonably hard and both parties develop the tendency to go crazy at the same time. But I digress.)  

 

I believe that patience is what the “foolish” builder lacked.  Both these guys built houses, a hard enough task in itself. But what the wise one did was KEEP digging until he had the right foundation.  He didn’t stop with the obvious. I like Luke’s version best when in verse 48 he records “He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock.  When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.” Contrast that with the next verse where the other man “built a house on the ground without a foundation.” This is interesting to me because the foolish builder didn’t go out and find the most wishy-washy sand on which to build.  He used the ground.  I have often thought, “It’s the ground.  You can’t get more firm than that.” But it’s not true.  Ask me about placing pillars under a porch deck sometime, and I’ll tell you how NOT reliable the ground can be. Then think about getting beyond that ground to bedrock—not 2 feet, not “til you hit a pipe” but Fred Flintstone bedrock. That takes an awfully long time.  And what happened to the builders was not normal, either.  Who expects a flood right after building their new house?  No one outside of Galveston, Texas, I’d guess. But it flooded.  And the listeners to that parable learned what I need to be reminded of, in my spiritual life as well as my vocational: The preparation is worth it. Whether I’m building my faith or a house, digging deep makes all the difference.

 

And speaking of digging and faith, Superhusband and I are becoming quite a focal point for our neighborhood “scavengers.” It seems the faster we unload the rooms of their baggage, the faster people come out of the woodwork to dig through the garbage.  This has had an effect on how I think about garbage and people.

 

I have had to “dig deep” figuratively in order to try to see these people like God sees them.  I don’t know about you, but I’ve got a super-sized criticism switch in my brain.  I can walk into a mall and immediately spot the bad haircuts, poor lipstick choices, and not-so-skinny skinny jeans wearers in the place.  And all of those people are ostensibly washed and of a high enough socio-economic class to “shop.” Not so with the people who come to our yard.

 

(I’ll use initials here to protect the privacy of our pickers) There’s T who drives a beat-up minivan and likes to stop by two or three times a day when there’s a good pile out front.  He likes our dog, and likes to let others do the digging while he skims off the top.  There’s J who stopped to get scrap metal and wanted to make sure we weren’t going to rezone our property for government housing. A girl J with her mother stayed for over an hour picking up old fabric to make into purses. And my personal favorite, L, who didn’t have money for a car, or clothes, but walked to the tanning bed and back. These, along with the constant stream of twenty-something ball players and unruly teens that come and go from the apartments next door, make for a busy, distracting, and sometimes annoying atmosphere.  But I’ve started doing two things to help me dig deep in my faith. 

 

1) Every time I’m tempted to criticize a clothing choice (Particularly extra-saggy pants. To quote the great Donna White “I just can’t with that.”) I think, “I don’t know them, but God does.  He loves that kid. God made that kid on purpose to teach the world something about Himself.” Now, I don’t believe that God promotes baggy-pant-wearing, but I know full well that He does not include “baggy pants” in His list of “reasons my child is far from Me.” My job is to discover what God is trying to teach me through that person. Every time.  Every person.

 

2) I have begun introducing myself to each of the scavengers and handing them a card with a map and service times for our home congregation.  I really attempt to remember that this one day, in front of this one pile of garbage, may be the only time I talk to this person my whole life. And if they remember one thing, I want it to be about Love.

 

I am not saying this to brag.  I am confessing that I should have done it sooner.  I am a full 34 and 3/4ths years old, and I have just begun to reach out in my day to day life. And I’m not where I should be, either.  I have not yet found the courage to say things like “Do you know Jesus?”—which is the real reason we “church” anyway. But I’m pushing.  I’m digging.  I’m getting down to the rock of what’s important.  Not clothes, nor scrap, nor economic status, or tan level.  But the people.  Every person God brings to my patch of lawn is a piece of Him that He’s entrusted me to influence this one time.  What an honor.  What a God. What a job.

 

And when I think of what God did for me, it’s obvious what I am in the story.  If we turn this scenario around, I would play the garbage.  God came through and picked ME. Little ol’ me. To do this great thing, and to be married to Superhusband, and to talk to these people, and to live in this house.  He plucked me off the rotting pile and said “There’s usefulness here. I’ll keep this one. In fact, this one is so precious I’ll trade my life for it.” And that’s the miracle.

 

So I encourage you—when you feel the torrential rains coming, and they will come—dig deep. Hit bottom. Level out. You may even have to lay on the rock for a while. After that, you can begin to build a mansion out of salvage.

No comments:

Post a Comment